When people decide to turn a new page in their “lifestyle and diet” book, they often make drastic changes in their eating habit even changing the type of milk they drink.
When soy milk was introduced as a healthier alternative, the regular milk soon became regarded as a huge health threat. This caused vegans and lactose intolerant people to avoid all sorts of dairy products and turn to consuming only soy milk.
What these people are not aware (and many others as well) is that soy milk is far from what is presented to be. Even though it is said that it contains iron, B vitamins, calcium, that it is low in saturated fats and cholesterol and that it is rich in protein, soy milk is quite on the opposite side of the health spectrum and is a lot more dangerous than you think.
Here are the ingredients of soy milk:
- Soy milk (purified water and whole soybeans)
- Vitamin D2
- Sea Salt
- Cane Sugar
- Vitamin A palmitate
- Natural Flavor
- Vitamin B12
- Calcium Carbonate
Now, while many would think “Well, it contains vitamins B12 and D2 that ought to be good, right?” they won’t bother asking what carrageenan is. Carrageenan is a compound that belongs to the linear sulfated polysaccharides, found in red edible seaweeds. Because of their gel-like structure and their thickness, these are used in the food industry to fold products together. The thick structure is exactly what harms our body, among some other things. Our body can’t digest this structure and it is not getting any nutrients either.
Besides its natural origin, it negatively affects the human immunity. This compound has been linked with cancer, gastrointestinal inflammatory diseases which may later lead to IBS, spastic colon, chronic diarrhea and inflammatory bowel disease.
But it doesn’t stop here:
- The natural toxins that soybeans contain are harmful for the estrogen levels, which mean they can interfere with the menstrual cycle and cause hormonal imbalance.
- Soybeans also provide a content of haemagglutinin, a substance that creates blood clots.
- Phytic acid is also a part from soybeans and other soy products. This acid destroys any traces of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc, which the body actually needs to work properly.
- Soy is full of pesticides and toxins because it is almost entirely modified.
- Soy based products contain plenty of aluminum that, If consumed too much, it will lead to nervous system and kidney diseases and it is known to cause Alzheimer’s disease.
- During processing proteins inside the soy are exposed to high temperatures which make them difficult for digestion potentially dangerous for the health.
- Isoflavones – genistein and daidzein are the culprits for breast cancer forming and guess what? They are part of soy.
- Soy also contains estrogens known as phytoestrogens. They trigger endocrine system irregularities and are responsible for fertility problems and breast cancer occurrence in women.
- Goitrogens, also found in soy, harm the thyroid.
- Soy can release and contain nitrates during its preparation, which later on can lead to cancer.