Chocolate Cake – A Healthy Breakfast Option?
Well, as surprising as it may sound, black chocolate cake is healthy for you and if eaten for breakfast it can improve our brain function and waistline too. This means that you’re now free to have a piece of cake for breakfast without feeling guilty afterwards. And is there anyone who doesn’t enjoy a decadent piece of black chocolate cake?
Ever since we were kids, cake for breakfast was a dream come true, but this dream rarely came true as we were told that it’s bad for us. If we were allowed to, eat chocolate cake would be the only thing we would eat for breakfast. We may not be kids anymore, but we still enjoy a chocolate as much as we did before, and now we have science to back us up.
Black Chocolate Improves Brain Function
A study conducted by the Syracuse University a piece of black chocolate cake can improve our brain function and benefit our waistline. The study involved 960 subjects ages 23-98. The subjects’ dietary habits were observed and later the results were compared. The researchers didn’t change anything in their dietary habits, they just wanted to see how much they affected their overall health.
It turned out that the subjects who ate black chocolate regularly had improved cognitive abilities, abstracted thinking and better memory function.
Black Chocolate Can Help You Lose Weight
According to another study conducted by the University in Tel Aviv black chocolate can also help you slim down. Their results revealed that eating black chocolate cake for breakfast can increase productivity at work and help people struggling with excess weight.
According to Dr.Daniela Jakubowicz our brain needs ample energy first thing in the morning in order to wake up and start running. That’s why eating a piece of chocolate cake for breakfast is less likely to cause weight gain, as our body converts that energy from food super efficiently in the morning. But the study showed that if you want to take advantage of the benefits of chocolate cake for breakfast you need to eat it until 9AM.
The study results revealed that people who ate a high-calorie dessert for breakfast before 9AM lost significantly more weight than those who ate a low-calorie breakfast after 9AM.
Health Benefits of Black Chocolate
Chocolate is made of cocoa beans and the higher percentage of cocoa in the chocolate the higher the health benefits. Cocoa beans are rich in flavonoids, which are good for our overall health. Here are some of the main health benefits of black chocolate:
- It improves blood circulation by restoring the flexibility of arteries. It also prevents clogging of the arteries.
- It’s good for our heart and reduces the risk of suffering a stroke by 20%. If you eat black chocolate on a regular basis you will protect your heart and make it stronger.
- Black chocolate is also good for the skin as the flavonoids it contains protect it from external damage.
- It’s a rich source of minerals, including iron, zinc, potassium, selenium and many others.
- It improves our mood thanks to the presence of phenylethylamine. Phenylethylamine is a chemical our brain produces when we fall in love, which means that eating chocolate boosts our brain to release this chemical and make us feel amazing.