The kidneys are extremely important for our overall health since they filter the blood and remove waste and toxins from the body. However, their function can be reduced due to various factors, such as smoking, alcohol consumption, hereditary kidney issues, and unhealthy starchy foods.
Such a dysfunction causes a list of severe health issues. The accumulated waste and fluid in the body leads to a kidney disease, often manifested by the following symptoms:
- Frequent urination, especially during the night
- High blood pressure
- Pain and difficulties during urinating
- Swollen feet and hands
- Puffy eyes
- Blood and/or protein in the urine
- A glomerular filtration rate (GFR) less than 60
- A creatinine and Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) blood test, outside the normal range
Kidney toxicity is a serious health issue that leads to a mild pain in the lower back area, and if left untreated, it can cause kidney stones and kidney failure.
In the case of a kidney disease, you should follow a kidney-friendly diet that will protect you from further damage.
It means avoidance or limiting the intake of certain foods and drinks, in order to improve the absorption of the needed minerals in the body and track the number of nutrients you consume, protein, calories, fat, and carbohydrates.
First of all, make sure you reduce the intake of sodium, a mineral naturally found in many foods. It affects blood pressure and maintains the water balance in your body, but in the case of a kidney disease, it can lead to an accumulation of fluids and sodium in the body, and cause high blood pressure, swollen ankles, fluid buildup in the lungs and heart, and shortness of breath.
To cut its intake, you should follow these tips:
- Avoid table salt and high-sodium seasonings, like sea salt, garlic salt, soy sauce
- Avoid fast foods, since they are rich in sodium
- Replace salt with some other spices
- Rinse canned foods you buy before consumption
- Always read the labels of the foods you buy, since many of them are full of sodium
- Avoid packaged foods, as they are loaded with sodium
Moreover, you need to lower the consumption of calcium and phosphorus as well. These minerals support the health of the bones, but in the case of a kidney disease, they can increase the risk of a heart disease, as phosphorus levels might excessively raise, while the calcium levels might drop.
Therefore, make sure you consume no more than 1,000 milligrams (mg) of phosphorus mineral daily, by:
- Lowering the intake of dairy foods
- Consuming corn and rice cereals
- Increasing the intake of fresh vegetables and fruits
- Limiting the intake of fish, poultry, and meat
- Consuming low-phosphorus foods
- Drinking light-colored sodas
Additionally, lower the intake of calcium as these foods are usually high in phosphorus.
Potassium supports the function of the muscles and nerves, but in the case of their reduced function, the kidneys cannot filter out its excessive amounts, and its accumulation might cause heart problems.
It is found in many vegetables and fruits, like potatoes, melons, avocados, and bananas, and these can raise the potassium levels in the body. Instead, focus on the low-potassium foods below:
- Cranberries and cranberry juice
- Apples and apple juice
- Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
- Boiled cauliflower
Furthermore, cut back on foods that are high in protein, especially animal protein, and limit the consumption of dairy, seafood, and meats. Do not forget to drink plenty of water, in order to keep the body hydrated, and avoid adding pressure to the kidneys.
The following natural remedy will cleanse the kidneys and eliminate all accumulated toxins. This will improve their function and prevent additional complications.
It consists of natural ingredients only and causes no side-effects.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup grape juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Mix the cranberry and the grape juice, and add the lemon juice, ginger, and turmeric. Stir well, leave it aside for 30minutes for the ingredients to get infused, and strain it.
The impressive effects of this natural juice are due to the powerful medicinal properties of its ingredients, as follows:
— Grapes are a rich source of antioxidants that prevent and treat kidney diseases
— The citric acid in lemons dissolves kidney stones and prevents their formation
— Cranberries effectively treat urinary tract diseases, infections, bladder infections, and kidney stones
— Ginger has strong warming properties that boost blood flow and detoxify the body
— Turmeric has potent anti-inflammatory properties, prevents the formation of blood clots, and clumping of blood platelets
Drink this juice on a daily basis to support the function of the kidneys, cleanse them, and improve overall health.