Healthy Breakfast: STRAWBERRY ‘DONUT’ CAKES
And now… some strawberry ‘donut’ cakes – i called them donut cakes because it’s not really a doughnut and more of a cake in a doughnut shape!
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened or liquid
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 whole large room temp eggs (separated)
Strawberry coconut glaze ingredients:
- 1/3 cup warmed coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of crushed freeze dried strawberries
Filtered water as needed:
- preheat oven for 350º
- in a large bowl combine all dry ingredients – almond flour, baking soda and salt.
- in another bowl combine honey, coconut oil, vanilla, lemon, and egg yolks.
- mix the two bowls you’ve mixed above until well combined.
- beat egg whites until nice soft peaks form. fold the egg whites and diced strawberries with the rest of the batter until no egg whites are visible, but do not overmix.
- grease your donut pan and then fill each donut mold about 3/4 full – about two large tablespoons for the mold i used.
- bake for 18 mins or until just firm to the touch. remove from pan and allow donuts to cool on wire rack.
- in a small bowl mix coconut butter and honey into a thick paste
- then mix in lemon and the crushed freeze dried strawberries.
- you can begin to add 1 teaspoon of warm water to your mixture until its smooth and creamy – if you over add you can add more coconut butter.
- glaze donuts once they are completely cooled – once you’ve finished glazing pop them into the freezer so the glaze will firm up.