Ah, if only kitchen cloning was an exact science. While working on this one I saw the same bartender make the drink two different ways on two different days. Only after a firm grilling did I get her admitting to her personal “improvement” to the chain’s secret recipe. The official clone includes the ingredients found below. But if you want to add a little pineapple juice — as some independent thinking bartenders are apt to do — you might discover you have indeed created a tastier version of this refreshing smoothie. On that day the cloning gods shall be looking the other way.
But, for heaven’s sake, be sure your banana is soft and ripe. This is a detail the gods won’t ignore.
- 1 10-ounce box frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup pina colada mix
- 2 cups ice
- 2 ripe bananas
- whipped cream
- 2 fresh strawberries
- Use a blender to puree the entire contents of the thawed box of frozen strawberries.
- Add 1/3 cup pina colada mix and 2 cups of ice to the blender.
- Cut the end off end banana — set these pieces aside to use later as a garnish — then put the bananas into the blender.
- Blend on high speed until the ice is crushed and the drink is smooth. Pour into two tall stemmed glasses, such as daiquiri glasses.
- Slice each strawberry halfway up through the middle and add one to the rim of each glass.
- Cut each banana slice halfway through the middle and add one to the rim of each glass next to the strawberry. Top with whipped cream and serve with a straw.