17 Signs Of Mold Illness (And How To Tell If You’re At Risk)

One of the most common issues in every modern household is mold. It can appear anywhere and anytime, and is a great bearer of many illnesses.

Everyone should know the symptoms of illnesses triggered by mold and who are most prone to them, in order to know how to treat them and to alarm you that there is mold somewhere in your house without you being aware of.  The conventional medicine doesn’t consider it as a problem, thus there’s no proper treatment offered.

The symptoms can be easily mistaken for other conditions, which make it a very delicate subject.

Here are the most common signs of mold illness:

  • Headache
  • Memory problems, focusing issues, executive function problems, brain fog
  • Tremors
  • Fatigue, post-exercise malaise, and weakness
  • Static “shocks”
  • Light sensitivity, blurred vision, red eyes
  • Weight gain despite sufficient effort (weight loss resistance)
  • Sinus problems, air hunger, cough, shortness of breath, asthma-like signs
  • Vertigo
  • Muscle cramps, constant nerve pain, pain in the joints, aches without inflammatory arthritis, “ice pick” pain
  • Persistent nerve pain
  • Numbness and tingling
  • Abdominal pain, diarrhea, appetite changes, nausea
  • Night sweats or temperature regulation issues
  • Increased urination
  • Excessive thirst
  • Metallic taste

Knowing the symptoms you can easily see why they are often mistaken for other diseases’ signs.

Mold often appears in damp places or poorly ventilated ones. Mostly it appears on showerheads, bathrooms; it can even appear on furniture, pets, shoes, books, carpets, and paper. That’s why it is advisable to change your HVAC filters every three months.

“Chronic Inflammation Response Syndrome (CIRS) is an acute and chronic, systemic inflammatory response acquired following exposure to the interior environment of a water-damaged building with resident toxigenic organisms, including, but not limited to fungi, bacteria, actinomycetes, and mycobacterium as well as inflammagens…” explains Ritchie Shoemaker, MD.

Dr. Shoemaker also states that “24% of people cannot make adequate antibody responses, and they’re the ones that comprise over 95% of people who have an illness from water-damaged buildings.”

According to him, around 24% of the population is genetically susceptible to mold toxicity, as they have an immune response gene (HLA-DR).

If you think that you are under mold exposure and experience some of the symptoms mentioned above, here’s what you should do:

  • Learn more about the mold illness. Great source of information is Dr. Shoemaker’s book “Surviving Mold”, as well as his website
  • Test your home for mold by using ERMI test and call an environmental professional o inspect your home. You can do the ERMI test by yourself, it will cost you around $325, but if it’s positive you will have to call the environmental professional, so avoid self-testing.
  • Learn about the Shoemaker Protocol.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *