Physical appearance is very important to many people. Excess weight is the primary problem that people face, thus the reason why there are thousands of diets that promise fast results, but a great number of them don’t meet the expectations.
While losing weight without being aware of it sounds like science fiction, it is possible! All you need to do is walk more!
The number of calories burnt depends on two factors, the walking area, and the body weight.
When walking with an average speed of four miles per hour, our body burns 400 calories per hour. This means that by making 2,000 steps or 1 mile of walking, we burin 100 calories. In order to lose a pound, you need to burn 3,500 calories.
The best thing to do, and healthiest, is to lose a pound a week, or burn 500 calories daily which is an equivalent of 5 miles a day.
Here are some additional tips that will help you meet your goal:
- Walk your children to school
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator
- Walk to the station, and do not use a bus or a taxi
- Walk to your workplace and home
- Always park the car a bit further than your destination, and walk to get there
- During the first week, walk for 15 to 20 minutes to adjust to your new routine, and then gradually increase the time to an hour a day